BIPP talk and competition.

Today we had the opportunity to listen to BIPP member Bryn Griffiths talk to us about his practice and to show us some images that he has taken over the years - he has 35 years experience in this field and therefore I knew it would be interesting to see how he has got to where he is now. He has won awards for his photography, which I will go further into later on in this post.

He started off by showing us an image of a car and asked how many images had made that image possible. A lot of people made guesses, ranging from 2 to around 15 - the answer was, in fact, 74 and I was really shocked at how one image of a car could be made up of so many images.

He stated that at age 15, he was either considering doing accountancy or photography and did some work experience at somewhere called Big Shots. He clearly decided that photography was the route he wanted to take and it is clear from his images that he is passionate about what he does.

He mentioned colour zoning, which is where you match the object colour to the background - as I had to do this on one of my university modules I know this is really difficult to do and he showed us examples of this. He also explained that colour popping is also something that photographers do to help lead the eye to a specific part of a photograph.

(Example of colour popping; to move your eye to the oven)

When doing some shoots, he creates his own imaginary places - he does this by photographing separate places and combining them in post production. I think this is really clever because it means that no one else will have similar images because of how he has done it, and therefore his images are completely original.

As well as shooting cars, he also shoots some interior photography - working for brands such as SMEG. In the image he showed us, he had used the technique colour popping to direct your eye to the product, as this is the most important part of the photo and is what the image is trying to sell/promote.

This image that he showed us is one shot, which I find amazing as it is so perfectly lit from all angles:

He has worked for major brands, one of which include Argos:


He told us that one year he entered the Hasselblad Masters competition, which receives 30,000 professional entries each time it happens, and Bryn ended up being the top 10 in the world for product photography. He then entered in 2014 and won the whole competition - meaning that out of every single person who entered, he was the best.
After winning this, he had to create imagery based off the title "Evolve". He ended up travelling all the way to Chernobyl to do this project the day before it had to be submitted, and the images were the contrast between hight end product in studio and products in Chernobyl:


Bryn told us that BIPP were having a competition, and said for us to email a picture to enter it, and I entered one of my pictures from my FMP. I didn't win the competition, but Richard emailed us to say that he had given me a merit - this has really boosted my confidence in my photography skills because of how amazing I think his work is.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conventions of portraiture.

Making a zine.

Reorganising my website.